Belford(JollofNews)- A Gambian mother and her young daughter have died after fire swept through their house in Lamin Sanchaba, Kombo North District.

An electrical fault is believed to have caused the blaze that killed Eleanor Belford-Secka, 35, and her five-year-old daughter, Fatima Zahra Secka.
The family were fast asleep when the fire broke out in the hallway on Friday just after 1am and quickly filled the house with thick smoke.
After initially making it out, Eleanor, a former headgirl at Gambia High School, was said to have ran back into the burning house to save her daughter who was trapped in her bedroom.
“We were awakened by a loud bang and we all rushed out of the house in panic, only to realise that it was a fire outbreak,” Eleanor’s father, Christopher Belford, told local reporters.
“Eleanor made it out of the house with me but she told me she was going in to rescue her daughter and some of her travelling documents. Unfortunately she could not come out again as she was engulfed by the fire.”
The family’s household materials including furniture worth thousands of Dalasis have also perished living them in dire need of help.
Anyone wanting to give the family a helping hand can reach them on: (+220) 9900096/3900096/6990096.