(JollofNews) – In what could be described as perhaps his most daring move, President Adama Barrow of the Gambia Friday sacked his coalition partners from his cabinet.
Tourism minister Hamat Bah of the National Reconciliation Party (NRP) and Agriculture minister Omar Jallow of the People’s Progressive Party (PPP), were all sacked with immediate effect and replaced with members of Mr Barrow’s United Democratic Party.
Mr Barrow’s Party leader and political mentor Ousainou Darboe who was serving as Foreign minister has been named Vice President.
According to a press release from the office of the president, Vice President Fatoumata Tambajang has been redeployed to the Foreign Service, while Henry Gomez another coalition partner is now Special Youth Adviser to the President of the Republic.
Veteran journalist Demba Jawo has also been pushed and replaced with Ebrima Sillah, director of the state owned Gambia Radio and Television Services.
At the time of writing this report no reason has been given for the president’s decision.
Below is the list of the new cabinet:
- Vice President of the Republic – Hon. Ousainou Darboe
- Ministry of Information and Communication Infrastructure – Ebrima Sillah
- Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs – Mambury Njie
- Ministry of Agriculture – Lamin N. Dibba
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Gambians Abroad – Momodou Tangara
- Ministry of Lands and Regional Government – Musa Drammeh
- Ministry of Trade and Regional Integration – Amadou Sanneh
- Ministry of Youths and Sports – Hadrammeh Sidibeh
- Minstry of Health and Social Welfare – Dr. Isatou Touray
We will keep you updated as more details unfold.